Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas from Beijing

Merry Christmas from Beijing! Happy birthday to our King! Ha:)...it seems fitting to begin the day with singing:) Well, to those of you celebrating Christmas Eve, we are awake with you. I have been awake since 2:00am our time and Drew in and out all night. What woke me was an unsettling feeling in my stomach. Of course, the first thing that came to mind was a stomach bug...an all too familiar travel companion that seems to follow us to the third world. I remembered that the probiotics I packed have remained untouched and took it upon myself to crack them open and chase this nasty thing away. As I returned to bed unable to even relax my thoughts, I realized that this might just be nerves. At least I am praying toward that end. I have learned that when I wake and can't go back to sleep that the Lord is giving me an opportunity to pray, so I met with him in the dark and enjoyed sweet fellowship over my active thoughts.As I initially laid back down, I realized that our family was visiting with Great Grandmother in Mount Airy and it made me glad to be awake, feeling as if we, although thousands of miles away, were with them all along. Currently, it is almost 5:00pm Christmas Eve and I am well aware that my sweet boy is probably eating Moravian buns and sipping all too sweet coffee right now as he sings Christmas carols and hears the story of the nativity. Hopefully the snack is distracting him from running to the front of the church to act out or correct whoever is telling the story. This has been a favorite activity in our home this month:) I'm sure Gommy, Grandmother and Granddaddy are joining forces to reign in the little boy's energy and excitement of the day, at least for the remainder of the Love Feast. I am glad to be awake now...it feels like I am there singing along with them as I have my entire life on this day. But, I am thrilled to be here, in the wee hours of the morning, counting down the hours until I meet my daughter.

She has been a welcome thought this morning. As she wakes up later this morning, it will be Christmas and her last full day with her foster family. I am praying for them, thanking God for their care over her, and asking the Lord to comfort their hearts as they prepare to say goodbye to our sweet girl. In 24 hours we will be waking up to packed bags and a waiting plane to take is to Jiangxi Province. We will barely have time to get to our hotel before Salem arrives. I am praying for a timely flight and quick ground transportation so we can be ready to see her walk through the doors. I have to be careful not to create too many expectations about what that will be like. Drew set the perspective well for me..."If they throw her into our arms as we step of the plane that will be ok." :) She will be ours when and however that initially takes place. I am nervous though, so pray for a calm spirit about me, How will she react? Who will she want to be held by? Will I know what she needs? Will our questions be answered thoroughly These thoughts have cycled through our minds many times as we have anticipated this day. Only God knows the answers and we are comforted in his foreknowledge of our union and all that it entails.

As for the families sleeping down the hall and waking up in Guangzou this morning, I am prayerful over them and their families at home. Somewhere in South Dakota, Michigan, and Wisconsin, loved ones are waiting to hear the news just like you. Until then, we wait and celebrate our King Jesus, His life, death and resurrection and OUR adoption as sons and daughters into His forever family! Merry Christmas!

(Received from Amy 5:37pm EST, which is 12/25 6:37am in Guangzou, China!)

No comments: